The veggie burger of meat lovers
Are you also the kind of person who finds it hard to believe that you can truly enjoy a “veggie burger”? Those two words don’t even go together, it’s either a burger or it’s vegetarian, right?
Well… after cooking these Portobello mushroom burgers, I have to say I changed my mind. There is such thing as a good vegetarian burger after all. I still love my beef burgers, don’t hear me wrong, but this is a delicious alternative and the perfect recipe for a quickly prepared meatless Monday dinner!
Ingredients for 2:
- 2 large Portobello mushrooms
- 2 Burger Buns (whatever your favourite type is)
- Marinade: balsamic vinegar, soy sauce, olive oil
- Toppings: red onion, cheddar, tomato, avocado (+ whatever you want!)
How to prepare the burgers:
- Preheat the oven at 400°F
- The mushrooms: Remove the stems and brush off the dirt in the mushroom caps. Marinate with equal amount of oil, soya sauce & balsamic (1 table spoon of each). Add salt & pepper, herbs or meat spices if you want. Keep in the fridge for 30 min-1 hour.
- The toppings: Cut the onion, the tomatoes and the avocado in thin slices.
- Cook the mushrooms on the BBQ if you have the chance, otherwise, in the oven at 400F about 5 minutes on each side (or until tender). Top the mushrooms with cheddar and leave in the oven for an extra 2 minutes for the cheese to melt
- Assemble buns with mayo, tomatoes, mushrooms, avocados, onions etc.
You can change the dish around by playing with the sauces & toppings. For example, try pesto instead of mayonnaise and provolone instead of cheddar…