Have you ever tried spaghetti squash baked with bolognese?
Well I hadn’t either… Until the lady I bought this squash from told me I should try. “Prepare it exactly like you would bolognese” she said, “but instead of pouring the bolognese on top of pasta, you put it in the squash”. What a strange idea I thought… but then I tried, and I kind of liked it. Really liked it actually…
1. Pre-heat the oven on 350°F.
2. Cut the squash in two, lengthwise. Scoop the seeds out. Oil the flesh of the squash, and put in the oven, flesh face up, for 30 min, then face down for 20 min.
3. In the meantime, prepare the spaghetti sauce. Chop the onion and cook it slowly in olive oil. When it’s transparent, add the minced beef and then the tomatoes. Season to taste. Let it simmer for a few minutes.
4. When the squash is ready, take out some of the flesh from the middle with a fork. Don’t take out too much as you don’t want to break the skin. Leave the spaghettis you scooped inside the squash and pour the bolognese on top of it.
6. Place in the oven for 10-15 min and 2-3 min under broil, or until everything is melted and golden. Serve & enjoy, eating directly in the squash.