Last week was freezing in Montreal and so on Monday, when temperatures hit -20, I felt like the BBQ pulled pork in my freezer was calling my name. The problem was that the only way I’d ever experienced pulled pork was in a sandwich or burger format, and although I did feel like comfort food, I didn’t want to eat a heavy sandwich either. So after a quick search for inspiration online, I came up with a lighter option, and decided to serve pulled pork with coconut rice & mango salsa.
This hit the perfect balance of fresh & comforting I was looking for, definitely a must-try.
Pulled pork (I used frozen BBQ pulled pork from Cool and Simple, but the courageous ones will make their own. This is just a shortcut for weekdays dinners)
1/2 red bell pepper
1 small piece ginger
1/4 tsp red chili flakes (optional)
1/4 cup orange juice (optional)
a small bunch of fresh cilantro
1 cup of rice
1 cup of coconut milk
1/2 cup water
1. Prepare your pulled pork (in my case, this meant heating up the frozen package – no shame 🙂 )
2. Prepare the ingredients for the mango salsa: Peel, seed and chop the mango ; wash, seed and chop the red pepper ; chop the scallions.
2. Cook the salsa: In a saucepan, add the mango , red bell pepper, chopped scallions, 1 teaspoon grated ginger, 1/4 cup orange juice, 1/4 tsp. red chile flake. Season with salt and pepper, stir and cook on medium heat for 20-25 min.
3. Cook the coconut rice: In another saucepan, stir the rice, coconut milk and water together. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to let it simmer for about 20 min. When all the liquid is absorbed check if the rice is tender / cooked. If not, add a bit more water and let cook a little wonder. Otherwise, set aside.
4. Prepare the plates: Serve the rice, the pulled pork and the salsa. Garnish with fresh cilantro.